Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Behind the Scenes: Beauty sale alert!

Today I experienced my second beauty sale. For the uninitiated out there, a beauty sale is when the beauty department sell off all their samples and freebies to the rest of the staff. Items cost from 50p to £5.00 but generally it's a great place to get a bargain.

I experienced my first one last year and to say I was shell-shocked was an understatement. Imagine a jumble sale full of eager grannies desperate to get their hands on some second hand tat. Add in the energy of youth and a few very bony elbows and you get the idea. It was every woman for themself. Armed with huge bags, everyone pushed and shoved until they got what they want. I managed to get a few prime bargains but wasn't overly impressed.

My friend C works on another magazine and she often gives me bags full of freebies - stuff like Dior, Bobbi Brown, Clinique, Estee Lauder. The list goes on. Here however, the goodies up for grabs are more likely to be found on the shelf of Superdrug and looking at the state of some of them, right at the back of the dusty shelf as well. So where is all the good stuff going? All I'm going to say is that the beauty editor, who doesn't get paid that much, is always turning up in new clothes, including a few nice designer items...

No comments: