Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Posh Spice or should it be Badly Dressed Spice?

Poor ole Victoria Beckham! She has topped Mr Blackwell’s annual worst dressed list. I actually feel kind of sorry for the pouty one. She tries so hard to be a fashionista but unfortunately for her, no amount of designer mates or Hermès handbags will win round the fashion mafia.

It seems you can only be truly cool in the fashion world if you look like you’ve crawled out of bed and just thrown on the first thing you found. That’s just not Victoria’s style and I say there’s nothing wrong with pouring yourself into skin-tight dressed and wearing skyscraper heels. At least she has her own style. It’s not to my taste but she puts in effort and that’s nice.

I struggle every day to try and fit in with these fashion types. Gone are the days when I can simply thrown on my jeans, Converse trainers and a nice top. Every day feels like I’m being thrown to the lions. Get it wrong and instead of being savaged, you’re ignored. Get it right and you may get a slight smile as they pass by you in the corridor.


My problem is, I hate looking messy and un-neat. I wish I had the insouciance of stars such as Alexa Cheung, Mary-Kate Olsen and Sienna Miller, but I don’t. So everyday I struggle to dress my outfit down a bit. And there are a couple of ways to do this:
  • Have messy, bed-head hair. A straight, neat bob just does not cut it.
  • Accessorise wisely. Put on a battered hat, a long pendant and mess up your dress with biker boots or trainers.
  • Make sure your clothes are slightly too big to give that ‘borrowed from the boyfriend’ feel
  • Mix and match prints. Stripes with florals, star prints with checks – anything goes in the world of messy fashion I think.
I’m still not quite there – I can do the messy hair but not while my mis-matching my prints – but I’m trying. Perhaps though the best way to deal with the added stress is to just embrace my own style but I’m sure what that actually is… perhaps finding my original style will be my new year’s resolution.

No comments: