Monday, December 10, 2007

An early new year’s resolution

I earn a good salary but I still seem to have NO money left each month. Why? Well it’s probably to do with the fact that like nearly every other person on this planet, shopping has become my hobby. Nobody collects anything (I used to collect thimbles for some sad reason), plays a team sport or creates something for fun these days. Instead they consume.

So in my bid to try and reign in my consumerist tendencies, I’ve come up with my one and only resolution for 2008 – and it’s a biggie. Even when I hit NYC last month for my anniversary (see pic), I shopped for Britain!

From 1 January 2008, I am not going to shop for a whole 4 months. I know it’s not like giving up shopping for good, but for me, it’s like cutting off my right arm. What’s worse, the situation is only emphasized by the cutting edge fashion element in the office, but hey ho. I’m going to brave their ‘oh-my-god-what-is-she-wearing?’ looks in a bid to make this a successful resolution.

I’m also hoping to save money so I can finally stay in credit and buy they puppy I’ve always wanted. Plus, I’m going to rediscover my wardrobe. Believe me when I say I have SO many clothes. The one thing I don’t have is time to put new looks together but I figure if I’m not out shopping, I can be accessorising instead.

So if you feel inspired to follow suit, here are my top tips:

1. Go through your wardrobe to see what clothes you have. Get your camera and spend the day snapping pictures of items that go really well together and create a special album. That way you ALWAYS have an appropriate outfit to wear without faffing around working out what goes together.

2. Discover the things you haven’t worn for a while. Why is this? If they don’t fit properly, find a tailor and get them taken in/out/up. You could discover a whole new wardrobe for a few measly pounds.

3. Avoid the shops. Seriously. If you’ve got a drink problem, you don’t go near the pubs do you? And just think what you could do with that spare time. Go to cinema, catch up with friends, join a book club, visit an art gallery. You’ll be a whole new person by the end of the year!

4. If you really have had enough of your wardrobe, why not check out http://www.swapstyle.com/. Instead of buying second hand cast offs on eBay, this site lets you swap your clothes. You get a new item without parting with your cash plus you help enhance a fellow fashion addict’s life as well – it’s a win-win situation.

5. Set yourself a target time when you’ll go without your shopping fix and at the end of this, treat yourself to something you normally wouldn’t e.g. a spa treatment or a meal at a posh restaurant. It’s always good to have that special incentive.

Happy no-shopping!

No comments: